**This began as a status update on Google+ and I decided it was so lengthy (didn’t mean to go on and on) that it made more sense to blog it and link it to my social media**
I have been a “militant” woman since I was 17 yrs old and experienced my first Black Studies class in Mt. Vernon High School. Learning the difference between complexions and features, in regards to what makes a beautiful (c) attractive face. Learning the difference between an Afro-Centric POV and a Euro-Centric POV. Unlearning to learn. I’ve been doing that for almost 30 years now (I’m 40 for those who don’t know) and I’ve playfully called myself Kali X. I didn’t believe in the justice system…and then OJ was acquitted. I then got to see biopics like Hurricane, and rescinded my shortly restored belief in progress.
Last night’s acquittal of Zimmerman stoked the flames of latent militancy in me. It’s not that the other stories went unnoticed. I saw most of them. Praying for families and justice. I was incited and made sad by them all. Yet, something about this one was an awakening. It doesn’t drown out the other lost lives and injustice. Not at all. One can feel strongly connected to something without overshadowing the next important thing.
It’s like people…
Just because I have a connection with one over the other doesn’t make the other insignificant. We can’t see EVERY thing and know EVERY one. Don’t be so hard on others for not seeing the other cases that are similar or as important to Trayvon’s. We connect where we can. Just know that caring at ALL is something that needs respect. Especially, in a society where we’re numb and desensitized to the news and it’s daily casualties. That’s lesson 101 in “Save our Community”. STOP telling people how to care and how to rally.
We’ve been conditioned for so many years to mind our business and protect home over everything else. A lot of us were raised in communities that valued the motto, “Snitches Get Stitches”. It was encouraged to keep your opinion to yourself. Think of the days before the civil rights, where a Negro would see another being unjustly beat, punished or accused…and if he wanted to keep his and the lives of his family safe…he’d better pretend he didn’t see it.
THAT kind of conditioning has been taught, subtly generation after generation. Kind of like how kids were taught to be seen and not heard. So, it’s got to be understood at some point that it would be easiest for people to turn their heads.
Back to my point. Due to that indoctrination of our people…it’s admirable when someone decides to put down the fear of retribution and pick up a petitioner’s pen, or a picket sign, or a blackened profile pic. In whatever way someone can show support…respect that. Speaking against the efforts, however small…of other people is the VERY reason we can never come together and unify. SOME one always knows a better way and therein lies the start of division.
I’ve been quiet since the verdict. I’ve read the statuses, tweets, reblogs and Instagram pics and I’ve chosen to remain quiet til now.
I don’t know about anyone else…but this has created a fear in me. A good kind of fear though. An awareness, if you will. It’s a re-awakening back to the knowledge of reality. We HAVE to start teaching our kids how to protect themselves. They have to understand that we’re living in anarchy. It’s not in full swing yet, but it will be. The Age of Aquarius dictates that in order for there to be peace…the old ways, the old foundation of government, history of politics, must be torn down. Only then can a new world be built.
That was my thought today…maybe I’ll come back and blog some more later.
Remember that Bugs Bunny episode?
Yea, so…they found Zimmerman not guilty.
I’m not shocked, but I am.
So, this is my understanding:
- A Black woman shoots off a gun, no one gets hurt…she gets 20 years
- A Black man endangers dogs, gets time and fined
Nah, let me stop there, because if I listed all of the Sean Bells, Amadou Diallos, Troy Davises, Assata Shakurs, Emmit Tills, Hurricanes, Geronimo Pratts…man, I can list them until they reach back past the civil rights movement and the result will be the same.
The message being sent to our people is that our lives aren’t worth anything. We are STILL 3/5 of a man, still fighting for equality and recognition…and that the world sees us as the bottom of the barrel. ANIMALS are more valued than that of a scholarship-granted 17yr old on his way home from the convenience store.
I pray that Trayvon’s parents take this to civil court. Just the way the Browns and Goldmans tried OJ Simpson and made him accountable SOME how..so should Zimmerman have to pay somehow. His name should be dirt, his life should be rough…and yes, I know it’s all up to God and He’ll work it out, but I am at a loss for understanding right now so logic isn’t setting in. Excuse me for that. I just wanted to smack the smile off of Zimmerman and his defense attorneys faces. A child is dead and your win is dirty. It’s soiled with the politics of this man’s connections and this jury’s clear idiocy.
My profile pic is still blacked out…so are those of my friends who chose to stand in support…but, the black spaces aren’t profile pics online. The VOIDED, empty spaces belong to the hearts of Trayvon’s family and those who’ve come to love him through his father’s tears and mother’s strength. There’s a fear for the children and men of our families, there’s anger for the smugness and privilege of people like Zimmerman, there’s so many mixed emotions about justice and rights and loss of value to our culture.
I remember saying back when Obama was elected president, “Don’t get comfortable. Racism isn’t dead…it’ll never be gone. As a matter of fact, you will see it rise to the surface like driftwood…”
I knew not to get comfortable. The election of a Black person into office wasn’t an end to all of Black people’s problems…it was the beginning of an unveiling. The hate for our people had been cloaked in niceties and affirmative action and interracial marriages and stirred up to look like a perfect cafe au lait in a cup. What it really was…was suppressed behind fake smiles, whispers of disguised disdain and simple conspiracies at everyday places like jobs and schools. It was snide remarks and debates about the word nigga/er. It was hidden in devilish prodding and feigned innocence.
I for one have never and WILL never think racism is over or done or quieting. It’s roaring loudly into the ears of America right now.
“YOUR CHILD DOESN’T MATTER!!” …is what I hear America saying.
I hear you loud and clear.
*dancing like T.I.* “HEY HEY HEY”. LOL
I love that song. I only named this post that because it’s what I’m listening to. Then again, maybe we’ll be able to pinpoint some blurred lines within this post after all…
Let’s start with the kind of week America has had. ~Phew~ America…well, the WORLD over has shit going on EVERY day. What we see in the news is a mere modicum of the world’s weighty chaos. For shits and giggles, though? We’ll talk US fuckshit.
- The Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman trial got started this week and it’s been a doozy thus far. I missed the opening statements, but I heard all of the boo’s and tomatoes flying at Don West for his poor taste in banter. “Knock knock. Who’s there? User. User who? User DUMB ass for that knock knock joke!” Don’t get me started on all of the hoopla surrounding the testimony of Rachel Jeantel, Trayvon’s friend and the last to speak to him the night he was killed. Her articulation has been questioned, roasted, lambasted, etc,…by the nation over. Her attitude was put on trial and I could only ask myself during this time, “Why does it matter what kind of attitude she has when the truth is…this is about Zimmerman’s guilt. Not HERS in the court of public opinion?” Why was it super important for a lot of Black folks to renounce her and call her everything but a child of God? To distance yourselves? To show the world…to show “massa” that YOU’RE not like that. You got book learning and is a GOOD speaker…right? A lot of y’all pissed me off, because while you sat there and made memes and jokes and judgments…you also seemed to be pissed at Paula Deen for wanting to dress your grandfathers up in slave butler outfits for a wedding…
- Which brings me to my next random. Paula Deen’s snafu, faux pas, oopsy daisy. She admitted to using the N word and she was quoted as lusting over a good old-fashioned plantation wedding; niggers dressed up in period wear and all. After apologizing and going on Today to tell Matt how racist she isn’t, Paula has suffered through the ostracizing of her brand. Food Network has decided not to renew her contract. Smithfield has taken back all their ham. Walmart, Sears, and a slew of other businesses have marked her shit down to free and asked her not to bring NOTHING else up in there. Even the publisher of her book which is #1 on Amazon, has chosen to drop her like a hot potato greased down with a pound of butter. So, yea Paula is roughing it right now and Jesus be a sedative so she don’t get ill behind the hoopla. (Yes, I have compassion for her…Yes, I think she needs to be sat down and made an example of…the two are not mutually exclusive) …So tell me why you mofos can go in on Paula in one breath and then disparage Rachel in another. You don’t make it easy to keep White folks from wondering why they can’t call us what we call ourselves. Now, I don’t THINK that’s what we should do (let them call us what we call each other) but, what peeved me is for a lot of us to go in on that young woman with NO chill and NO remorse about her looks and speech was outta pocket and short exact change. What the fuck is WRONG with people? Why do people feel the need to state every opinion, hurl every negative thought outward from the tongue and bask in the trials of someone else? Goodness gracious…We’re SO harsh on each other, but we want everyone else to regard us? Think on that.
- Aaron Hernandez…this dude here. Like, he couldn’t have been dumber if he’d just gone ahead and buried the body in his yard…but, HEY…maybe he’s innocent!
- While folks were wondering if Paula Deen’s pots were going to be newly priced at free and were counting the times Rachel Jeantel called Don West “sir”…The VRA was fucked with and now some of y’all may not make the voter’s booth come next election. I guess the gay community’s big win at Capitol Hill was too much freedom for one week. Basically they said, “Look…either y’all ninjas can vote or the queer can marry…can’t have both.” We see you America O_O
- Kanye’s album sucked. I’d ask for my money back, but I ain’t pay for it.
- Po’ North West…her parents are Dumb and Dumber for that shit. STOP NAMING THESE KIDS PUNCHLINES! They gotta play on the schoolyards and date and work and shit. Do NOT name your kid “Kryss’Tel’eyes” and wonder why they’re fucked up by adolescence.
What if Trayvon Martin had been the survivor? Standing cast over the lifeless body of George Zimmerman…
Do you think that he would’ve been taken at his word?
Or that the police would have skipped any protocol…such as a drug/alcohol test, a background/wrap sheet check, a call to George Zimmerman’s family, using his own cell phone. How about just checking the phone records on the calling history? That alone would’ve revealed a 911 call and a little more perspective into the series of events.
Do you think the police would’ve hesitated to arrest Trayvon…age be damned? His hoodie alone, the supposed mark of suspicion…would’ve given the police enough reason to stereotype what kind of person Trayvon might be…seeing a need for apprehension and an immediate comprehensive investigation. Do you know that the longer they wait…the “colder” the case gets?
We’re not new to this people…we’re not. We’ve seen many a Black man gunned down by trigger happy police and wannabe police, vigilantes and bigots. Some walking home carrying nothing but a wallet. Some celebrating the last night of being single. Some…accused of glaring too long at a little white girl, “needing” to be made an example of. We’re not new to the slaying of our children, our men, our sisters…these kinds of crimes are hundreds…thousands of years old. The threat of the “brown germ”…giving the non-brown any and every reason to attack, maim, disrespect and rally against.
So, what makes this different? Why is Trayvon different than Yusef Hawkins? Sean Bell? Amadou Diallo? Nothing and everything…
With the careless, non-responsive policing involved…is American hatemongers being told by silence and inaction that a free-for-all can commence on our community? As if there weren’t a million things to worry on as we go about life daily…now we have to be concerned that our young boys can’t even go about the street to the store and back without being considered a target? My 17yr old cousins can’t walk our hometown as it IS because of the violence corroding what was once a community of homes and good schools. Now, there’s this?
We’ve been up in arms about the wrongfully accused, the harshly convicted and the legally lynched. Now once again, faces and voices and pumped fists holding signs are asked to stand up. The never ending fight for rights unobtainable and barely maintained peace ensues and snowballs. Another full on movement is at hand and we’ve got to act swiftly and do what is within our reach. We’re stopping in the middle of women trying to reclaim our vaginas…to reclaim our safety. Our ancestors and fallen civil activists did not die, leaving behind legacies and empty chairs at the head of the table so we could pretend things will get better.
Communities all over have rallied, wearing hoodies as a show of solidarity. Justice is being sought…demanded. Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers…people with family they know could’ve been Trayvon…are making their voices heard. Do a little…do a lot…but, do something. Sign something…SAY something.
Here’s a link to an online petition for the arrest of George Zimmerman. If you want to see Anderson Cooper’s interview of Trayvon’s parents…click here…perhaps seeing the faces of these grieving parents will endear you to the cause.
|I am Trayvon Martin…|